Re: [OM] Tripods II

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripods II
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 01:08:58 +0000
At 04:28 1/11/01, Bill wrote:
I do care about weight and really don't want one that weighs a ton.

[snip]

Two pieces of information which may be
helpful are that I'm not going to be back packing and I am 6'4" tall.

Look at the Bogen 3021. The 3221 is the same (and slightly more expensive) but instead of sliver legs, they are black. It is made for tall people, very sturdy, and is among the lightest of metal ones that rigid and tall. To go lighter moves into the very expensive composites. The 3021 is likely Bogen's most popular for field work (portable) and is not that expensive (look at the B&H prices).

The type of head will depend on what you like. There are two basic styles, ball and pan/tilt. I use pan/tilt heads so my remarks will be based on them. Since you are planning on using long telephotos, I think you would need something heftier than the the Bogen 3029 or 3030. Although touted for 35mm, your long telephoto lens length and weight would be a bit much for them to hold rigidly. The next sizes up are the 3047 and 3410. There are equivalent ball heads.

You didn't mention what you currently have. If it's the department store generic tripod, what I just mentioned is about twice the weight. However, it's infinitely more rigid, much more durable, and if you shop well, it won't be that much higher in price than the $100 K-Mart/Wal-Mart models it clearly out-classes.

-- John