[OM] Re: [OT] Death of Film - Not! - and DIY scanning

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Death of Film - Not! - and DIY scanning
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:21:10
John, you're correct in your doubts. The digital darkroom really is not a mass market activity, altho' most folks will be satisfied with the mediocre results they get because one-hour labs have delivered mediocre conventional processing/printing for years.

Getting true photo quality scans and prints requires careful calibration of the scanner, monitor and printer. And as a monitor ages recalibration must be done. To do all this properly, a fairly expensive calibration device must be used. Lacking such a device I calibrated my system by eyeball - I'd estimate it took two or three months of trial and error to get it right, especially the printer output.

OTOH, the learning curve is no worse than with the wet darkroom and being able to display one's images so easily to so many people is very gratifying. So gratifying, in fact, the trick becomes knowing when to say 'nuff. ;)
Lex Jenkins
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 09:18:00 +0000
From: "John O'Regan" <john.oregan@xxxxxxxxxx>

...I've scanned one or two prints into my PC and printed them but I have been very disappointed with the results. There seems to be some cross-calibration required between scanner/screen/printer...Is this really a mass market activity?