[OM] Re: [OT] Fuji Superia X-TRA 166 Film

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Fuji Superia X-TRA 166 Film
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 09:08:27
I've rambled on before about how much I like Superia X-tra 800 (which doesn't have the fourth layer), so I look forward to trying the 1600. BTW, the supermarket variety Superia X-tra 800 is the very same thing as Fuji 800 Press or Fuji CZ - samesamesame. Check the data on the negative edge along the sprocket holes. That's why I buy the 800 in 4-packs from Wal-mart - cheaper than buying Press in bulk via mail order.

I'm guessing you're wanting to know how suitable the films are for handheld photography, yes? The 800 is well suited to average office and conference room lighting (which is surprisingly dim - generally far from meeting ANSI standards): I can usually shooting between 1/30 @ f/2.8 at worst, to 1/60 @ f/4 at best. One-hour labs can easily print from these negatives. And this version of Superia handles fluorescent lighting just fine, despite lacking the fourth layer.

Being a handheld-photo-phool, I also love the stuff for 'round the clock use. While bright days do limit me to faster shutter speeds and tiny apertures, I like being able to choose one film that's good for the whole day and night. At the beach I'd probably need an ND filter. The 800 allowed me to photograph a neighbor's marauding, chicken-killing dog so I could prove the mutt's antics to its owners. Was able to shoot a 200mm handheld at 1/180 @ f/6.7 in deep shade on an overcast day. (Next time I'll be shooting something a bit more potent if they don't keep that dog in their yard.)

The 800 is also not as saturated as the slower versions of Superia, making it more suitable for people pix - doesn't produce ruddy skin tones like other Fuji films sometimes do.

I also get great results using the 800 in my XA3 for nighttime and street photos.
Lex Jenkins

Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 12:32:25 -0700
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>

...Fuji has introduced a new film... Superia X-TRA 1600...any advice/comments offered.