Re: [OM] Aircraft ammunition pictures [OT for Oly list]

Subject: Re: [OM] Aircraft ammunition pictures [OT for Oly list]
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 19:02:23 +0100
I oftened wondered if you pilots could actually see the target clearly when
you first lined up... And I'll never forget the sounds the A-10s' gatling
guns made. Super cool!

Regards,
George S.

Just barely George (depending on your eyesight of course)

Have a look at the Jaguar bombsight photo at Photopoint.com

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1298434&a=9639318&p=35787188

The range in that photo is about that when, if you are strafing, you need to have your sight lined up in azimuth with the attack direction (for the safety trace that has been worked out for that target etc...). The bomb target in this case is a bus or an ISO container... and you cannot tell that from the photo can you?

You keep the sight just above the target until just before open fire range when you lower it on smoothly, pause for half a second and fire for half a second then recover at 4g to avoid the ground. You get down to about 125ft above the ground, 250 above the target as you climb out again. This is all quite exciting to think about it again... but I'll never strafe again in my life unfortunately.

BTW, I have just noticed the smoke over the target in the photo. It is probably the result of the attack by the aircraft in front and it looks like pretty close to a DH.

It's all right everyone... I'll stop reminiscing now.

Chris
--
~~~~~ ><>
Chris Barker