[OM] RE: olympus-digest V2 #2078

Subject: [OM] RE: olympus-digest V2 #2078
From: François Rossi <f.rossi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 10:04:00 -0000
> Francois, you may have a habit of getting good deals.
> Wait until you see the beautiful lens I just mailed to you.

Yes, Jim, it's a macro lens but not as we know it :-)

Also meaning here that it came cheaper than typical UK prices. For a lens
that seems to be in pristine shape and with case, I would have spent $250 to
$300 minimum buying from a dealer. Even private sales are not that good. I
saw one advertised as exc++ for $230.

Unfortunately, it seems that for Olympus gear, the UK prices are 1 for 1
against the dollar when the currency value is roughly 1 pound for 1.5
dollar.

So for me, eBay is very welcome because it enables me to buy cheaper than
from second hand UK stock (even with shipping) and also to find rare or
rarish items such as the 1985 edition of the Olympus book on Zuiko lenses,
the 3 editions of photo vision, copies of vision age, etc.

Don't forget that the UK (and France for that matter) is roughly the size of
one of the US States for some of them, and smaller than many! Try to imagine
buying your used Olympus gear in just the one State, suddenly it appears
more difficult to find what you want at the right price.

Francois