RE: [OM] B/W on the Cheep

Subject: RE: [OM] B/W on the Cheep
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 20:53:51 +1100
Kelton wrote:

> I don't know if I have the Olympus bug, or the retro bug, or a
> combination of the two, but recently I've had an urge to go back to B/W
> photography. But wow, what a heck of a lot of money they're asking for
> B/W developing (and film!). Can anybody give me the name of a mail source
> that does reasonable and good B/W developing? (West coast USA preferred.)
> ALTERNATELY, since I'm more interested in the screen as my final
> destination, what would you think of going the bargain color route (say
> costco kodak print film and costco developing, totaling a grand $7 per
> roll or so), and then manipulating the prints in photoshop (stripping
> away the color and adding contrast)? Would that work for on-the-cheap B/W?

You have a few alternatives:

1. Use a C41 process b&w film, (e.g. Kodak T400CN, Ilford XP-2) and have it
processed for the same price as C41 print film.  Scan negs or prints.

2. Process your own conventional b&w negative film, then scan the negs - no
need to make prints, low setup cost (if you have a film scanner).

2.a. Print your own b&w prints, scan these.

3. Scan C41 process colour negs or prints made from them, I'd say the 6" x
4" prints would be adequate for web use, provided you get good quality
prints.  As you say, you can then manipulate in Photoshop (or whatever) to
get the results you want for the web.  One interesting thing you can do
using this route is filtration, i.e. you can get the effect of using a red
filter (darken sky, etc.) because all (?) the colours are are on the
original, just try looking at a clour print through a red filter.  You can
also get a colour print/scan doing this, an alternative not available if you
shoot b&w film to start with.

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~w_harridge/