[OM] The Ol' UPS Insurance Scam [OT]

Subject: [OM] The Ol' UPS Insurance Scam [OT]
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 22:57:23 -0800
>This seller responded to my email with "If you want I can send you the
>insurance receipt and you can file a claim.."  Tiny pieces, presumably the
>missing spot meter button, were found in the brown case inside a film
>canister.  These did not fall off in transit.  This person knew the camera
>was broken, and then offered to send a claim form, as if I would claim that
>the USPS were at fault.

Hey, I recognize this scam! In ancient B.E. (before eBay) times, I bought
a computer and color monitor off a listserve. When it arrived via UPS,
the monitor displayed only pink. The seller told me he had proof from a
monitor shop that the monitor was good before he sent it (he had even
included the monitor shop's "clean bill of health" in the package to me .
. . hmm . . . ) and that I would have to take it up with UPS if I wanted
a refund. Obviously UPS said "nothing doing." But I learned after some
investigation that the ol' defraud UPS is a common scam . . . just a
little too late . . .