[OM] Re: [OT] Packaging materials

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Packaging materials
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 02:24:15
I see less styrofoam popcorn being used now by commercial shippers, but only because they're using more purpose-designed styrofoam blocks and bent, cutout cardboard inserts. Unfortunately, unlike popcorn, those blocks aren't very useful for shipping anything else.

I'll tell you one thing - this list has folks who can pack things well enough that eggs would survive a 30-foot drop. Specifically, Tom Scales, Dave Bulger (ex-listfolk, but still in mind), Mike Mitchell and Larry Griffin come to mind. You can rest assured anything these folks ship will survive to arrive. I thought I packed things carefully 'til I saw their shipping cocoons. Since I've begun packaging items twice as well as I used to consider necessary I've received compliments from eBayers on my packing. Beats heck out of complaints about items broken in shipping.

Packaging material ain't cheap and well-packed items are usually a good indication of a person's integrity.