[OM] Re: Question about Exakta Lenses for OM

Subject: [OM] Re: Question about Exakta Lenses for OM
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 22:03:06
Bill, I can definitely recommend the older Vivitar 20mm f/3.8 - big, heavy, well built SOB, something like an 88mm filter thread. Got one for my Canon bodies and I've seen 'em on eBay in OM mounts as well. Shouldn't cost more than around $100 for one in very good condition. I believe this version was made during the late '70s-early '80s .... perhaps Brian Huber can clarify. It's not a Series 1, but it sure acts like one.

Excellent central sharpness (my term for resolution/contrast combined), good to VG edges, some coma in the corners. Amazingly little vignetting even wide open. Also very good flare resistance, far better than my Fat Viv Series 1 28-90/2.8-3.5 varifocal (which, in direct light, has more ghosts than a haunted house) - I've used this one in strong sidelight without a hood (doubt I could find a hood to fit anyway) and really had to look hard to find the one or two ghosts.

Here are a few pix taken with this lens (film was Fuji Superia Xtra 800):

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1005538&a=7442500&p=30495156&Sequence=0&res=high

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1005538&a=7442500&p=30272041&Sequence=0&res=high

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1005538&a=7442500&p=30272037&Sequence=0&res=high
Lex Jenkins

Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:48:22 -0500 From: "Welliver, H William" <hwellive@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I've been thinking about getting an ultra wide angle lens to expand my perspective. Of course I'd love to have the zuiko 21/2, but I can't justify the cost at this point...