Re: [OM] Re: Digital Vs Traditional Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Digital Vs Traditional Photography
From: "Tom A. Trottier" <TomATrottier@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 14:43:33 -0500
Dear Lex,

I guess the light isn't bright enough for the CCD sensor. Print stuff
should be easily within its range. Your 2-scan solution sounds
reasonable, tho a pain. Your monitor's probably not the problem. It
has more range than any reflective work.

Check if Vuescan ( http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html ) will work with
your ED scanner. It grabs the most it can & can multipass with
anything. Shareware, works with many scanners, tho mostly SCSI.

I'd suggest a film scanner (the $500 solution..). See Hamrick's site
for suggestions.

Tom

On 30 Dec 2000, at 8:46, sayeth Lex Jenkins <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> We use a couple of inexpensive Mustek 1200 flatbeds (a 1200 ED and a 1200
> USB - the ED version seems a bit more faithful).  No multipass capability.
> No capability to use any other than the original TWAIN driver (which is
> pretty limited) or Photo-Paint's scan interface (not much better).
>
> I can adjust RGB channels and gamma/bright/contrast pre-scan, but the
> monitor preview is inadequate - I can't tell how effectively it's balanced
> until after the scan is completed.  I've settled on a preset that works
> pretty well for most scans, but some good prints just don't scan well.
> Efforts to moderate or reduce contrast result in grainy, reddish shadows.
> The only solution seems to be to have two prints made - one lighter, the
> other darker.  Scan both, overlap them digitally.

 Tom Trottier <TomATrottier@xxxxxxxx> ICQ: 57647974
        Abacurial Information Technology Consulting
400 Slater St. Suite 415, Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7S7
    __o  +1 613 291-1168 fax:594-5412 (877)247-8796
 _ \ <    Vote for your favourite Olympus camera at
(+)/'(+)   http://www.freevote.com/booth/fav_camera
   Mensa Ottawa: http://www.egroups.com/MensaOttawa