Re: [OM] NiCad Battery Pack M 15V Control 1

Subject: Re: [OM] NiCad Battery Pack M 15V Control 1
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 12:47:59 -0600
Here's all the info you need. It is from the Olympus FAQ.  It includes the
instructions.  Compliments of Rand E. Tomcala and Hank Hogan.

Reprinted without permission <g>.

Tom

O4) How can I modify my Olympus motor drive to use NiMH batteries?

(Compiled by Hank Hogan with advice from John Hermanson and
Frank van Lindert)

NOTE: See Topic O3) for how to disassemble/reassemble the
Control Pack.

***  Making a New NiMH Battery for the M.15 Control Pack 2 ***

        The batteries are VARTA NiMH batteries which look just like
ordinary nine volt batteries of the type that are used in smoke
detectors and 1960's era transistor radios.  These batteries can
be found at:

House of Batteries
16512 Burke Lane
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
        Phone: 800-432-3385

(The price was about ten dollars each)
        Note: this company can build custom spot welded batteries

        First, construct a new custom NiMH (nickel metal hydride)
battery from the cells inside of two VARTA NiMH block batteries.
        {Rechargeable AccuPlus 9V, 120 mAh, No. 5522, E-Block V7/8H
(IEC 6F22) Laden/Charge: 14h, 11mA, Fast Charge: 7h, 22 mA up to
1000 times rechargeable}

        The block battery is black plastic.  Dissect it with a pen knife
by cutting around the top.  Take all seven cells of the first
battery and five cells from the second.  Leave some tin on the
cells for soldering.

        Solder the two groups of cells together (7+5=12) using some
insulated copper wire to connect the tin from the two groups.
Wrap the new battery in shrink wrap or use plastic electrician's
tape to wrap it.

                 ***    Notes on Recharging  ***

        The Olympus charger performs a quick charge.  The current is about
        26-30 mA, although the specifications say 36 mA. Olympus recommends
        charging for 4-5 hours, and this is fine for NiMH cells.

        If you want to know whether a cell is damaged or not, you must
measure the voltage of each cell separately. A dead cell will always
give 0 volts, as far as I know, or even a negative value (reversed
voltage effect).

        An automatic light switch timer will allow you to set a four hour
charging time and prevent overcharging the new battery.

        Thanks to Hank Hogan <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

An alternate method is:
I did my NiMH conversion before the FAQ and other references
now available.  I used all cells of both Varta 9V batteries.
The logic went as follows:
        1.  Motor Drive can use both M15v and M18v power supples
        2.  M18v uses 12 cells - either NiCad or Alkaline
        3.  Alkaline run as high as 1.6v when new
        4.  12 x 1.6 = 19.2v
        5.  7 x 2 = 14 (#cells in two 9v Varta's) x 1.4 (approx full
        charge voltage per cell) = 19.6v.  I think "close enough".
        6.  With a little juggling, it fits (a big test)
        7.  It works ! (Mine about 2 years now)
        8.  This configuration gives more output (more cells) and is
much more "user friendly" (NiMH cells) and weighs less.  It
sounds like a better fix to me.

Note:  In step #6, one of the Varta's must have 2 cells
"unfolded" for space configuration.

Thanks to "Rand E. Tomcala" <rtomcala@xxxxxxxxxxxx>