Re: [OM] Digital trends (LONG)

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital trends (LONG)
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 22:34:19 +0800
Based on my limited experience in digital imaging and some limited recent
research on digital camera, below is MHO:

A/ Best home scan (4000dpi)+inkjet print vs custom lab printing (for large
output).

- good custom print will have better resolution.
- inkjet will be easier to control in terms of color and contrast, usually
better than traditional print.
- cost of custom lab print will be higher unless you make the print
yourself.

B/ Best home scan+inkjet vs one hour lab (4x6 inch print)

- one hour lab have much better resolution, as Gary Reese point out we
usually examine small print at a much closer distance (perhaps 10 inches),
for me I will even use 10x lupe.
- color of inkjet will be much better as one hour lab usually make very
disappointing color/contrast adjustment.
- cost of one hour lab is much cheaper but for inkjet you will only select
the best to print, not like one hour lab you will have whole roll processed
and printed.

C/ Archival property of inkjet print is a common argue item, check Wilhelm
Imaging Resource to see how things going:

http://www.wilhelmresearch.com/

In brief, the current Epson 870 with Epson Matte paper can last up to 24-26
years and HP 4-5 years, they are all common available. Some special pigment
ink can last for over 100 years, much better than current traditional photo
paper. There is no reason that they are only design for industrial purpose
(except some UV ink), I expected they will be available to normal consumer
within a few years.

D/ Digital Camera

- Resolution, current 3.3-4M pixels DC is still far away from conventional
camera, but if resolution reach 5Kx3K it will be roughly equal to the best
color slide currently available. I won't expect traditional color film will
dramatically increase in resolution but image sensor will also take time to
reach 5Kx3K as majority of people will be satisfied at 3Kx2K (6M) resolution
and further development of image sensor will be slow down. Within one to two
years 6M pixels SLR DC will be available at perhaps under $3K. There may be
also some high end P&S DC with this resolution at a much lower price.

- On the other hand low cost DC will be available at below $200. The
resolution will be good enough for 4x6 inch print (perhaps around 2-3M
pixels) to casual shooter. People will get true photo with their image file
at newer one hour (or even half hour) lab very soon, see "E" below.

- Concerning noise or grain, I have no experience in self printing or custom
lab printing of ISO800 film, but the shots from Fuji S1 at ISO800 was much
better than the print I got from one hour lab with Fuji superia 800. I have
seen some shots with Kodak high end DC (DCS620? can't remember the model
number) at ISO3200, although resolution is low (2M pixel?) but they were
even better, it is even capable to shoot at ISO6400 with very good result.

- Also, after seeing the results from some Canon D30 users and
Imaging-resource, it seems that CMOS image sensor has very big
improvement, not necessary inferior to CCD, see it yourself.

- Image capture rate, E-10 is around 1.2s between shoots and shutter time
lag of under 100ms. Not too bad and next generation will be better. E100RS
can shoot at 15fps although resolution is low (1.5M pixels) but who know
when will this happen to 6M pixel DC?

E/ Printing cost - besides do it with your own inkjet or dye-sub printer,
you can also send them out to digital lab for printing. The cost is a bit
high at this moment but they will be finally equal to current one hour lab.
The Fuji Frontier processing machine is now very common in Hong Kong, some
lab here offer US$0.1 per 4x6 print (whole 35mm roll with extra film
developing charge of ~$2.5). Basically it can also accept electronic file
(on disk, CF or SM) but of course price are a bit higher at this moment.

- For color and contrast control, digital is the best, there is no question.
See how many time you were not satisfy with the print from one hour lab and
how much better you can get from your own inkjet printer. Custom lab
printing is another issue, but it cost more money and time.

Certainly there are lots of item I have missed, welcome for anyone's comment
on or offlist.

Just my 2 cents.

C.H.Ling