[OM] Re: PC editing software revisited

Subject: [OM] Re: PC editing software revisited
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 05:17:23
Photo-Paint a "PhotoShop clone"?!? That's the only thing I'll object to in your recommendation, Mickey! ;^)

Corel Photo-Paint was a full featured program for graphics and photography professionals and pre-press work offering many superior features at least a full generation before Adobe caught up. Photoshop has since surpassed Photo-Paint mainly via superior marketing.

(The above message was brought to you by The Friend of Corel Photo-Paint and in no way does not represent the opinions of myself, my family, friends, acquaintances, coworkers, Mall Santas of America or the guy living next to the hot water pipes under our house.)

The only real rap against Photo-Paint is that (at least in version 8) it defaults to 24-bit mode in deference to web limitations, tho' images can be scanned and edited in 48-bit mode - but with fewer available tools. I don't know whether this is true of Photoshop. BTW, third-party filters are interchangeable between the programs.

Anyway, Corel Photo-Paint 9 for 69 bucks and change is a steal! Unfortunately it concerns me that perhaps this indicates Corel is in trouble financially and either bailing out or dumping product in anticipation of a merger. I may upgrade from versions 7 and 8 anyway (nope, I don't use a single copy of version 8 on both PCs at home - tho' not because I'm morally superior. I'm just too lazy to fix what ain't really broken in version 7.)