[OM] Re: Digital Vs Traditional Photography

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Vs Traditional Photography
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 08:46:56
We use a couple of inexpensive Mustek 1200 flatbeds (a 1200 ED and a 1200 USB - the ED version seems a bit more faithful). No multipass capability. No capability to use any other than the original TWAIN driver (which is pretty limited) or Photo-Paint's scan interface (not much better).

I can adjust RGB channels and gamma/bright/contrast pre-scan, but the monitor preview is inadequate - I can't tell how effectively it's balanced until after the scan is completed. I've settled on a preset that works pretty well for most scans, but some good prints just don't scan well. Efforts to moderate or reduce contrast result in grainy, reddish shadows. The only solution seems to be to have two prints made - one lighter, the other darker. Scan both, overlap them digitally.
===
Lex
What has six balls and screws anybody?  The lotto.

Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 16:29:39 -0500
From: "Tom A. Trottier" <TomATrottier@xxxxxxxx>

What scanner? Do you use multipass (LS2000 or Vuescan)?