Re: [OM] 40mm f/2 - revisited

Subject: Re: [OM] 40mm f/2 - revisited
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 13:07:23 +0100
: I know it has been a much discussed topic (and I have done some searching
in
: the archives) but.... I would like to hear from some actual owners what
they
: think about this lens having used it to some extent.

I've used this lens intensely during my last holiday in Ireland. Got some
great shots from it.

: How is the sharpness, contrast, distortion,

I'm sure you've studied Gary's lens tests at
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

According to the tests, the lens performs best at F8. There are other
standard lenses that reach their optical top earlier.

: bokeh, etc.?

Here is an example of the lens at close focus, including an out of focus
background:
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/veluwen/portfolio/ireland/Image20.html

Don't be alarmed, it's only me ;)
I think there's nothing wrong with the bokeh.

: How would you rate the overall quality of
: the shots that you get from it?

I've had no problems with the quality. Here's another sample shot with the
lens:
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/veluwen/portfolio/ireland/Image46.html

: Finally, would you buy it again having used it?

Certainly! For me, the 40mm focal length is much more acceptable as a
'standard lens' than 50mm or 35mm. It's close focusing capabilities are also
a big plus. If you only buy it for its size, weight (the 50/1.8 isn't that
big or heavy either) or rareness (duh!) this is not a lens for you.

hnz