[OM] Viewfinders and 40mm's

Subject: [OM] Viewfinders and 40mm's
From: "Machiel" <machiel.botman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 14:48:36 +0100
Frieder,

I am sure there is nothing wrong with your eyesight.  You ask about the
yes/no significant difference when putting a Beattie screen in an OM1 - I'd
say it is very significant and more of a change when you do the same with an
OM4.  I don't think there is much difference between Beattie and Olympus 2
series screens.
I don't know the OM2, but for me the OM1 is the great classic EXCEPT for the
viewfinder.  Well, now that's solved.

Mike,

The 40 is fine.  It may depend a bit on how you want to look at things.  I
do only b/w with the Olympus' and enlarge up to 50/60 cms.  On my three
bodies I have two 40's and one 50/1.4 and if I can get another 40 I'd put
that one instead of the 50.
I guess I don't look at the teachnicals of the lens - I just want to see
something that HAS it.  Like the Summicron R 50/ f2 has it all the way, a
beautifull lens.  But the Leitz 35/ f2 is much harder and less warm, or
whatever.  With Olympus I've only used the 35/2, the 40/2 and the 50/1.4 and
all these have it, as far as I'm concerned.  I like the 40mm because of its
size and weight, also I prefer lenzes that are not all glass in front.  I
use the 40's mostly at full open apertures, no problem and the out of focus
areas are actually very beautiful.
One thing:  the aperture ring of the 40 sits up at the front of the lens,
it's hard to use it - I've put a Pentax 49-52 metal extension ring on it.
Much easier to use.  I guess a filter would do the trick too.  Machiel