Re: [OM] Re Digital Vs Traditional Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Re Digital Vs Traditional Photography
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 05:50:58 -0600
You're right, Hans.  Adobe would experience a lot less Photoshop piracy if
they sold it at an honest price.  Here are some other legal alternatives:

Student pricing.  You almost have to take a class in Photoshop to get the
most out of it.  I took a one day Continuing Education class at UTA and
could have qualified for the student price at the UTA Bookstore of $299 US
(half price, but still outrageous).

Photoshop LE.  Bundled with many digital imaging devices such as the E-10,
many flatbed scanners, and my Nikon Coolscan III: or on sale at Fry's this
week for $69.95 US (normally $99.99).  Does most if not all of what you will
want.  You can check Adobe's website for a comparison of features of the two
versions: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshople/comparison.html

Second-hand copies of the previous version from users who have upgraded.
That's how I got Photoshop 4, which does what I need for digital imaging.
Versions 5, 5.5, and 6 have added features of more interest to graphic
artists than to straight (read that as realistic) photographers.

Gary Edwards