[OM] (OT) Troublesome Deals (follow-up)

Subject: [OM] (OT) Troublesome Deals (follow-up)
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:53:04 EST
Well, I was hoping to have to make a retraction of my "beware" on e-Bay
seller Rextex, but have been corresponding with a gal in OR who won the
auction for an  OM-2s from him, as I did. So I e-mailed her and asked her to
tell me how her deal went, etc..  She said the camera was described as "mint"
in the ad, but the following is what she told me in her e-mail last nite:

>Bad, bad news.  The OM2S finally arrived today, and.....broken mirror.  I'm
not sure >if this is the same thing you were talking about, but when I took
off the lens, inside >was the mirror, and its broken in three places.  Same
as yours, packed well in a >plastic bag, in packing peanuts, box not
damaged.  I haven't emailed Rex yet.  I >want this camera so badly, yet,
wonder if its worth it to fix it.  There also seems to >be dust inside the
lens, crap in the viewfinder and the cap for the cable release is >missing.
Argh! I wanted to take Christmas pictures with this camera!
>Well, did you get your money order yet?  I have to decide what to do next.
Just >thought I'd tell you...

I did receive a money order, just yesterday, from Rex, re-imbursing me for
the cost of replacing the broken/pushed in viewfinder on MY OM-2s I bought
from him -- damage which was NOT disclosed in his ad.  And was getting ready
to post the positive outcome of my transaction with him to the list, when I
noticed the e-mail from this gal.

So...... that now makes 3 of us that I know of (the 3rd being Kelton Rhoads)
who have been misled by ads on e-Bay by seller Rextex.  If I remember, Kelton
said his lens, described as "mint", arrived full of dust, etc..  Seller
Rextex is most pleasant in e-mails, but is obviously willing to try selling
equipment that doesn't meet his glowing descriptions in his ads.  The gal in
OR is demanding a refund, which sounds like the right decision.  Still
shopping for an OM-2s (atta girl!)... just elsewhere.

Again, BEWARE!!!

Rich