[OM] Open Letter to Olympus

Subject: [OM] Open Letter to Olympus
From: "Albert Yang" <albert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:53:45 -0800
I have a friend, and he all of a sudden cares about the environment.
I asked him why, and he said "Because I realized that they were
right, we do not inherit from our parents, we borrow from our
children."

Well, most of the discussions didn't really matter all that much to
me, until I realized last night that if I am (in 2 days) about to be
the proud father of an OM system, then I need to do my duty to
protect it and make sure it is around for my posterity.  It would
make me sad if Olympus later on no longer held up their SLR (more
specifically their OM line) and that ebay and pawn shops would be the
only placed I'd be able to get a Zuiko...

So I think as by far the BIGGEST voice in the Olympus community, we
need to draft an open letter to Olympus.  They are killing their line
of SLR's for point n' shoots and digitals, because they don't think
there is that much demand for their SLR's anymore.  We need to let
them know that not only is there a market, there's a demand and there
will continue to be.

As a computer programmer, I have systemmatically analysed my needs,
and my conclusion was that the OM system met my needs...  The need
was:

1)  Purely mechanical Camera with a built-in meter.
2)  Small, light, and durable
3)  Good selection of lenses to choose from
4)  High quality lenses that are sharp and neutral
5)  A camera that I will never outgrow.

I think these needs aren't just mine, they are everybody's.

So Olympus:  If you guys would build (rebuild) OM-1n's again, but
with probably a slightly faster shutter (I'd say up to 1/2000th) and
put a spot meter on it, that would be it, that would be the camera I
want.

I love Titanium, but I think there needs to be two lines, a "rich
people line" like the Titanium, and then "Piss Poor student" line,
which is steel.  None of this plastic stuff...  Unless you want to go
carbon fiber.

I think 4 new cameras, an OM-5, OM-6, OM-5Ti, OM-6Ti.  OM-5 being a
purely mechanical camera, with a TTL and Spot meter.  Basically an OM-
1n with a spot meter.  And here's the key though, It's got to be at a
price point that is affordable.

OM-6 would be an improvement on the Om-4's currently.

Put out new lenses.  I read up on Canon and they have dumped so much
R+D money on newer lens technology.  I think their 400mm lens is
going to be sharper now at a 40avings in size.  That's amazing.
There are new materials for the lenses, new manufacturing processes,
and new coating technologies, and so the next generation of Zuiko's
should be even better.

I know there is an english major amongst us, and so I hope that
someone can draft up an open letter to Olympus to plead with them to
continue their SLR line, and we will then all sign it.

Albert