Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Chuffed...and car sales

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Chuffed...and car sales
From: "Bruce Appelbaum" <brucea@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:29:00 -0500
I lived overseas on the Indian subcontinent for a few years and learned the
fine art of haggling there.  Prices for touristy goods, carpets, and many
staples were always marked and always marked very high.  Part of the game is
knowing what the price should be and playing the game to get the price at
the right place.  My strategy was to offer 1/3 the asking price.  After
sufficient discussion of price (and perhaps two or three cups of tea and
exchanges of views on politics, religion, and world events between exchanges
of offers) the price would genreally end up at about 1/2 the original price,
which was generally fair.  Everybody saved face, and the deal was always
consummated with a handshake and a smile.  Of course, there's not much call
around here for a stuffed cobra and mongoose diorama (only kidding, but they
were for sale over there).

I have found that this strategy works here in the US on many things, cars in
particular.  The opening offer is, of course, not so ridiculously low, but
if you do your homework and know what the fair price is (and the internet is
a wonderful tool for finding out this kind of information), the system
works.  Obnoxious behavior doesn't work.  Understanding that the salesman's
trips to talk to the sales manager generally don't have anything to do with
your purchase -- a stalling tactic -- helps the process.  A little patience
can go a long way towards bringing down the sale price of the car, boat,
house, used equipment, etc.

end

Regards

Bruce Appelbaum