Re: [OM] Zuiho

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiho
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 23:36:06 -0500
Cc: "Olympus List" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
At 8:10 PM -0800 12/18/00, Kelton Rhoads wrote:

Kelton wrote:

 Binocular labeled ZUIHO Tokyo, No. 1603, 7x50.

Does anybody know if there's a relation to Zuiko, here? Could any of our
Japanese listmembers answer this question?

I have a suspicion it might be one of those sly naming techniques by el
cheapo manufacturers, to con the unsuspecting into buying something because
it 'sounds' or has some similarity to a well-known name. I've seen "Nihon"
and others I can't recall.

I'll bet you're right. (BTW, I forgot to give the age of the binoculars.
Looked like 'Occupied Japan' age and quality to me.) So, I guess, unlike
the many Leica knockoffs, there's no cachet to a Zuiko knockoff, at least
not yet?

This doesn't make much sense if it was that old. Zuiko would not likely
have been a mark (assuming it even existed on a widespread basis) that
was worth knocking off. It would be like making counterfeit edsels.

It could just be the name of whatever long-gone company made the binocs...

paul

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx