[OM] 100/2 and 4Ti without batteries tale (was: I fell of the wagon)

Subject: [OM] 100/2 and 4Ti without batteries tale (was: I fell of the wagon)
From: pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:42:16 -0500
In a message dated 12/19/2000 10:34:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Now I do wonder about one thing though, if the flash doesn't use such a
> circuit where the electrical signal to trigger it "runs through a circuit in
> the camera", how can the OM-1(n)/OM-3(Ti) trigger the flash without
> batteries? I don't quite understand this, unless the flash _does_ have some
> provision for being triggered without using a signal coming from the
> camera('s batteries), as well as the OM-1 camera (which is older than the
> 4Ti), but that this circuit for some obscure reason has not been put in the
> "automatic" OMs (i.e. such as the OM-2 and the OM-4). Weird, it doesn't make
> a lot of sense to me... It may have something to do with the Auto mode, but
> then still, why didn't they enable such triggering in the Manual mode...?!?
> Anyone ???

To trigger a flash all that is needed is to close the contact between the
center conductor on teh hot shoe and the foot ground.
I believe what happens in the OM-4(T(i)) and presumably the OM-2SP is that the
contact is closed via some sort of powered circuit (a transistor
switch, maybe?)

The OM-1s probably use a mechanical switch. I thought the OM-3s needed battery
power to fire a flash too.

Hope this helps,

Paul Schings