[OM] 100/2 and 4Ti without batteries tale (was: I fell of the wagon

Subject: [OM] 100/2 and 4Ti without batteries tale (was: I fell of the wagon
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:34:29
Hi,

: Actually, I was glad to see that the flash did fire even though the
: camera's batteries died. I suppose that as soon as the flash is : mounted on the camera and it's turned on, that it closes a circuit : via the camera, which is interrupted when the camera is fired (or : vice versa: that a circuit is left open normally, and closed when : the camera fires), causing the flash to get triggered, even though : the camera doesn't have batteries anymore?!? Clever trick, and : extremely useful in this case!!!

Actually the flash synchro on the OM-4(Ti) does need battery power, contrary to the OM-1(n)/OM-3(Ti), but only a small amount. If you remove the batteries there's no flash. But when the batteries 'die' inside the 4Ti there still is a lot of power in them. Not enough to feed the hungry 4Ti's electronics, but more than enough to feed the flash synchro

Hmmm, now I'm dissapointed!!! :(
My first thought upon seeing the flash fire while the camera's electronics didn't get enough power from the batteries anymore, was just like you wrote that the flash did get the signal from the camera's batteries (i.e. that the camera batteries did have enough power still to trigger the flash, but that they didn't have enough left for the camera's electronics), but then I started thinking about it some more, and I thought it would be much more logical that the open-circuit/closed-circuit solution had actually been used, as that should be easy enough to do (I think)...

Now I do wonder about one thing though, if the flash doesn't use such a circuit where the electrical signal to trigger it "runs through a circuit in the camera", how can the OM-1(n)/OM-3(Ti) trigger the flash without batteries? I don't quite understand this, unless the flash _does_ have some provision for being triggered without using a signal coming from the camera('s batteries), as well as the OM-1 camera (which is older than the 4Ti), but that this circuit for some obscure reason has not been put in the "automatic" OMs (i.e. such as the OM-2 and the OM-4). Weird, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me... It may have something to do with the Auto mode, but then still, why didn't they enable such triggering in the Manual mode...?!? Anyone ???

and also enough to give them a second life for quite a while in an OM-2n...

Yes, I actually intend to swap the OM-2n's batteries now with the OM-4Ti's ones (hopefully the ones in the 2n still have enough life left in them for feeding the 4Ti)...

The moral of the story: if you forgot to bring the spare batteries
(whattamistaketomake!) you can get away with it if you remembered to bring your spare OM-2n ;)

I know, I know. :)
It felt "bad" to trust the batteries not to die before going to the event, so sure enough it just _had_ to be punished! Oh well, at least I hope my improvised tricks still got me some usable pictures...

Cheers!
Olafo