[OM] Archivally safe?

Subject: [OM] Archivally safe?
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 20:50:04 EST
At 12/16/00 10:44:56 AM Pacific Standard Time, Simon Evans wrote:

>Last weekend I was looking through my old Kodachrome slides of Christmas
>dinners or seasonal visits to relatives. A number of the people in those
>images are now dead, and the slides themselves have assumed an importance
>that would not have concerned me at the time. I'm very glad they're still
>viewable. As Christmas comes, I suggest everyone tries to photograph their
>nearest and dearest (preferably with your OMs, of course), I know I
>certainly will. Next year might be too late, carpe diem...

Absolutely, Simon.  That's my plan on Christmas Day.  An "older" generation
will be there, as well as two grand nieces, ages 6 and 7 (both very
photogenic and comfortable in front of the camera).  I love taking pictures
in general, but the ones I take of family seem to take on greater importance
with each passing year.

I'm sure the storage/retrieval issue will be resolved with digital.  There is
no substitute for making regular backups of ANY digital information you don't
want to risk losing, and storing those backups properly (avoid temperature
extremes and electromagnetic sources).  If you have a backup, it will be
there for you, no matter how your computer/hard drive expires.

My sisters and I have Kodachrome slides my Dad took on his Kodak rangefinder
camera as far back as the mid 50's.  Some of mine go back to '62 or so.  They
are holding up just fine.  I will be scanning and sharing some of them with
family and friends over the net.  But I like having that "hard copy".

Rich