[OM] Flash

Subject: [OM] Flash
From: B Gray <bandvg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:36:01 +0000
I think that the point many of us do not consider (or am I just damning my own ignorance here?) when considering flash for OM cameras is that of fill-in flash. While most modern point and shoots do it automatically, I think that it is quite difficult for the Olympus SLRs, because most only trigger the flash with an exposure of about 1/60 second. I certainly did not realise the problem when I got my T32 for my OM10 but have since become more aware of it when working with my OM2SP (and, for photos of the grandchildren, competing with the P&S which I gave my wife some years ago). Ways of working round the limitations have been discussed on the List in the past and I believe that there is one flash system for OM cameras that will do automatic fill in flash with short exposures - experts please speak up. For genuine low lighting conditions I have been very pleased with the T32 which can be used with a 28mm lens as well as the 'standard' 50mm lenses. I also have a flash extender to permit use up to distances normally appropriate for a 135mm (and I am not thinking of candids/portraits). I do not think that even the flash extender will allow its routine use with my latest toy - yes I have collected the 500mm Zuiko reflex discussed recently - and the Tamron 500mm reflex has gone to another list member. Thanks to all who provided advice and comments before I did the deals. (The dealer still has a Zuiko 28mm2.8 looking lonely on his shelves.)

Brian

 UK
brian.gray@xxxxxxxxxxx