RE: [OM] OM-1n

Subject: RE: [OM] OM-1n
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:57:29 -0600
Cc: albert@xxxxxxxxxxx
So, like is this a joke? You ask these questions of the Olympus list and
expect an objective answer?

OK, OK, you can trust me, I'm a scientist and totally fact driven. I've
never succumbed to the much discussed Zuikoholic Binge or uncontrolled
Olympus Lust. I'll answer some of your questions....

> So after reading every piece of lit on this camera and the lenses,
> there are still a few questions in my mind and I'm hoping you guys
> can answer them...
>
> 1) So what is the solution for the fact that the batteries are no
> longer made for the OM-1's meter? I hear that the newer batteries
> are 1.55 V and ruin the reading and might break the meter.

Find someone who still sells the mercury batteries for $5.00 each, and buy a
couple or three. They last a long, long time: three, maybe five years in an
OM1. Gary Schloss ( schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx ) usually knows where to  find some.
Or you can buy an  MR9 adapter for $29 that will step down the 357 battery
voltage to 1.35v for safe use in an OM1.

> 2) Is there an actual Zuiko website that describes all the Zuiko
> lenses in detail from the manufacturer? Olympus's website doesn't
> cover it.

OK, you asked for it:
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif.htm
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm
http://www.datasync.com/~farrar/zuiko.html
That should keep you busy for a few minutes.

> 3) If the lenses are as good as say Leica, Zeiss, Nikkor etc.. Then
> what am I missing here? Or is this just he hidden bargain of a
> lifetime? I can probably buy one of these with a 50mm f/1.8 lens for
> under $200, so is that basically the diamond in the rough?

Yes, an  OM1 is definitely  a diamond, and the right 50/1.8 will rival
anyone elses lens for resolution and sharpness. Not all Zuiko lenses have
legendary sharpness. In  some cases performance may have  been slightly
sacrificed for a dramatic size reduction. But for almost any Zuiko lens, you
will find  rabid fans....

> Thanks guys (and gals)!
> Albert
>
> P.S.  Om-2n's do NOT have mirror-lockups.  Should I go for one of
> those, or is mirror lockup a great consideration?  I don't even know
> when to use it!!

Don't worry about mirror lock-up too  much. It's most important when  trying
to extract the most performance possible from a tripod shot with a telephoto
lens, and even then there are ways to compensate if it is felt to be
important. The later Olympus camera bodies had  much more attention paid to
reducing the need for mirror lock-up through mirror damping, etc., and the
OM-4 &  OM-4T will even do a mirror lockup when the self timer is used.

Bottom line - buy the OM-1 and blow the pants off the so-called 'friend'
with  the wonderbrick....

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx