Re: [OM] .....sad news.....

Subject: Re: [OM] .....sad news.....
From: "tmlee" <clairetm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 07:44:19 +0800
Dear Doc.....

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, December 11, 2000 7:49 AM

>Someone said that placing the lens in the sun for a few days (eg on a
>window ledge) can kill off  fungus. What about a couple of weeks
>sealed up with silica gel? At least if you can kill off the fungus
>and the spores it won't get any worse. Don't know if it will make it
>better though.....

The ultraviolet rays will kill off the fungus. But it won't make them
disappear..... They will remain there like a spider web nuisance..... I
believe got to use it regularly to really prevent it from growing any
further...

>I also recall a post or an article somewhere about some kind of
>crystals that you can store with a fungus'd lens . The crystals give
>off some kind of vapour that kills the fungus. I personally don't
>like the sound of it much and have never used the technique, but if
>you haven't got much to lose.....
>
>Let me know if you are interested and I'll try and see if I can find
>the articles. I'm sure I still have something around about fungus.

I have never heard of these crystals.

The best is still cleaning them off......

I sent my 50/1.8 at the same time for cleaning and it returned really
pristine....

Peace
TMLee