Re: [OM] What went wrong?

Subject: Re: [OM] What went wrong?
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 23:28:37 -0500
Chuck wrote:
At Thanksgiving time I shot two rolls of Kodak Gold MAX 400 indoors
taking shots of the family.

The film was developed and printed using Walmart 1 hour service and all looks fine despite the fact
that (as I discovered later) both rolls were 2 months out of date.

The out of date could be the culprit, and unless both rolls were stored together at all times from moment of manufacture could possibly act differently. A roll of Kodak film I had in a car in the desert during the summer turned a green shade.

You also sent the film to Walmart on the first day only. In my experience, Walmart does better with Fugi film. They send their film to Fugi who most likely makes sure their setup is best for Fugi film. K Mart seems to do better with Kodak films unless you specify a different filter pack because it is Fugi film. I am referring to the send out processing. I am not sure of the validity of these comments for one hour services. I haven't looked at the machines to see whose they are. It also has a lot to do with the individual running the machine.

The second roll, shot the next day, was a different story. I used my recently purchased (from Brian Huber) T-32 and BG2 as a bounce flash and added my little Vivitar 555FD on the hot shoe as a direct flash.

I usually only have problems with a setup like this if the photos are over or under exposed. I use a T20 on the hot shoe.

  The film was processed at another 1 hour service place.

Another variable!

yes indeed, the ugliness is right there on the negative too.

The problem is that the flash shots seem to be exceptionally sharp and constrasty and also exceptionally red. Minor skin blemishes in the adults have been super accentuated. Everyone seem to have ugly reddish and/or brownish skin blemishes and blood shot eyes.

What was in the drink? <g> Actually, I have seen this especially in scanned images.

I'm not sure I have been much help. There are several different variables that could have all come into play. I would suggest using one roll of film and trying several shots with and without flash for comparison. Be careful of overexposure, especially of light-skinned, blue-eyed individuals. Take the film to a processor you trust, or if you have the time and resources, do multiple rolls and send to several processors.

Gregg