Re: [OM] OT (OM) Relative energy costs (was gas prices)

Subject: Re: [OM] OT (OM) Relative energy costs (was gas prices)
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 18:22:40 +1100
Lyle Olsen wrote -
>Electricity produces no gases greenhouse or otherwise, and no
>particulates or PAH's either which my wood stove definitely does (when I
>run it, which I haven't at all for the last few weeks eg, using electric
>heat instead).

Depends how you generate your electricity - in Victoria (Oz) we produce it
from brown coal - about as inefficient as you can imagine and produces
MAJOR quantities of CO2 and pollutants. Dams have their own problems and
nuclear....?

>But which of the several sources of heat and transportation fuel is the
>least environmentally damaging overall?  It's actually hard to say--so
>many factors.  Electricity is such a high quality energy source you hate
>to use it on something as low-brainer and entropically challenged as
>mere heat.

Electricity production is generally very inefficient and then huge
quantities of energy are lost in transmission.
The only answer I've really seen is to actually try and use less - of anything!
Andrew