Re: [OM] Vision Age Number 1

Subject: Re: [OM] Vision Age Number 1
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 16:30:10 +1100
I downloaded the Vol 1 that you posted and it looks great.

I had a look at home and I have Vison Age Vol 10-18 inclusive.

This may be a project I can piggy-back onto that other "hush hush" OM project I've been working on for the last couple of months . (I haven't said anything publicly on the list yet 'cause I want it to be a surprise!!)

I'm hoping to be able to announce an early Christmas present to the OM list members sometime early next week if all goes well over the weekend.......

I have the hard disk space to store the tiff files, and have figured out distiller ( I think !) sufficiently to do this. Space on our uni web server might be an issue, but I'll see what i can get away with ;-)

What does the list think - are people prepared to download the VisionAge issues at 10-12Mb each? If there is enough demand I will give it a go, at least for issues 10-18.

peter

Our recent discussion regarding scanning the Vision Age magazines made me
curious as to how feasible it would be to do that.  I decided to give it
try and scanned in Volume 1 to see how large it would be.  I didn't spend
a lot of time cleaning up the scans, some of the pages aren't perfectly
square, some shadows on the edges, etc., but it's still legible.  A proper
scan/edit would produce better results.  You can find a pdf of it here:

http://www.compmore.net/~mdapoz/brochures/VisionAge_1.pdf

The final pdf is about 10MB so expect it to take some time to download
if you're on a slow link.  The original scans were done at 300dpi and
reduced to 150dpi for the pdf.  It takes about 425MB to store the 300dpi
tiff images!  It does seem feasible to scan the Vision Age magazines and
output them at 150dpi.  Any volunteers? :-)
                                        -mark