[OM] Re: Roll Call

Subject: [OM] Re: Roll Call
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 12:09:09 -0500
OK, I'll bite too.  I've been lurking on the list for years.  Learned an
awful lot about single vs. multicoated SUV's, too.  My dad's Explorer
reflects green in the sun, so it must be MC.

Steve Troy & Dan Troy
Just Northeast of Philadelphia, PA

My brother Dan is a pro, but I'm not.  He specializes in commercial
photography (MF and LF but some 35mm using OM's) but we use our OM stuff to
photograph railroads.  These photos wind up in magazines and on calendars,
such as the one hanging in John Hermanson's place right now (another one's
on the way, John).  Current railroad slide inventory is 30,000+ and
growing.  Thank goodness for Visual dBase.

Here's our combined equipment - combined because at this point it's hard to
tell who owns what (lenses are Zuiko unless otherwise stated):

1 - OM-4Ti
8 - OM-4
1 - OM-3Ti (Thanks, Tom!)
1 - OM-3
1 - OM-2
1 - OM-1n (with Poloroid back)
1 - OM-1 (with Poloroid back)
1 - 16mm
1 - 18mm
2 - 21mm (a 2 and a 3.5)
2 - 24mm (a 2 and a 2.8)
2 - 28mm (a 2 and a 2.8)
2 - 35mm (both 2)
1 - 35mm shift
2 - 50mm (both 1.8)
1 - 50mm 3.5 macro
2 - 80mm macros (newer type) w/bellows
1 - 85mm
1 - Tamron 90mm macro 2.5
2 - 100mm (both 2.8)
2 - 135mm (both 2.8)
1 - 135mm macro
2 - Tamron 180mm 2.5's
2 - 200mm (both 4's)
1 - Tamron 300 2.8
1 - Tamron 350 5.6 mirror
1 - Tamron 400 4 (a great, great lens)
1 - Sigma 500 4.5
plus all the flash stuff such as F280, T-32, T-28, T-10, BG2, etc.

Thankfully this stuff is mostly OM.  If it were N*kon, we'd never get it
all through the airport.

Believe it or not, every lens gets used except the 200 f/4's and the Tamron
mirror (the Tamron 180's are better suited for our needs than the 200's).
And everything except the original OM-1 and its 50 1.8 was purchased used.
My favorite was the camera store that sold us the OM-3 at a bargain price
because he "knew" that the OM-4 was the current model, so he wanted to
unload the "older" version.  Who were we to argue?  Or the mint T-10 with
power head and ring-cross polarizer for $149 - the store owner looked it up
in the "used book" under T-10 and priced it not knowing the power head and
ring-cross were separate items.  Not quite a Doris, but not too bad.

Oh yeah, Dan's wife also has an OM-2000 with a 50 1.8 on it.

I also have the worst-looking OM-2s that you'll ever see.  Appears to have
been drug through the Mojave desert at high speed and then thrown into Lake
Erie.  Someone gave it to me this way - so don't blame me.  No focusing
screen, no battery/winder caps - but the battery check light works!
Appears electronically dead otherwise.  Anyone who wants it for parts can
have it for the shipping cost.

Steve Troy
**back to lurking for another couple of years**