[OM] [OT] Money Orders and Credit Unions

Subject: [OM] [OT] Money Orders and Credit Unions
From: coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:02:13 -0700
I recently purchased a T20 flash from a US seller, and send the seller an
international money order in US$ drawn from one of the biggest banks in
Canada (Royal Bank).  Last night, the seller advised me that his credit
union won't deposit the money order into his account unless he pays a US$10
fee of some sort.  Their reaason for demanding the fee is because it is not
drawn on a US Bank.  Since the money order is only for US$20 and change,
he's understandably not interested in paying a 50 0.000000ee to get it into his
account.

My questions are:

1.  Is this standard operating practice for credit unions in the States?
I've personally never heard of such nonsense for money orders.  Some
financial institutions will "hold the funds" on personal cheques until the
cheque clears, but I've always thought money orders were as good as cash
when endorsed in the presence of a teller, and the only "requirement" might
be having to present ID.

2.  Any suggestions on how the seller can cash this?

I'm sure some would prefer OFF-LIST replies to mailto:coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx
to keep the list traffic down.  Thanks, in advance, for any assistance you
can provide.

Regards,

Chris