re: [OM] Advice needed for DisneyWorld, Florida

Subject: re: [OM] Advice needed for DisneyWorld, Florida
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 08:25:32 -0500
Hi Arnab (warning, long post),
No doubt others will chime in with their recommendations but here are
mine:

>First, how do you manage the camera and lenses in the
>theme parks when you go on rides? Strap them on and
>hold on for dear life? Or leave the cameras somewhere?
>(Lockers?). What has been your experience?

Except for a couple of rides (like Space Mountain) Disneyworld is pretty
tame as regards rides.  I would take a SMALL shooting bag sufficient to
hold one body with lens, an extra lens or two of your choice and the
amount of film you expect to use in a day.  You DON'T want to buy film
there. You will be walking and standing around all day and any more gear
than this will get tiresome.  The carry bag will give adequate
protection to the camera if you need to put it away for a "wild" ride.
A small bag can generally sit in your lap to get out of the way.

>Next, what would be good to take? A wide or tele? Or
>just take one body with an all purpose 35-70? But if I
>don?t have a tele, I might miss out on a few wildlife
>shots in the Animal Kingdom. On the other side, lug a
>tele and miss out on all the rides? Or leave my OM
>home and take just a point and shoot ? (not relishing
>this prospect)

A 35-70 should be adequate for almost everything.  What else to take
depends on the size of the shooting bag, the other lenses you have and
whether you have a wide or tele view of the world.  Since my smallest
shooting bag is not tiny I'd take my 24mm and 200mm.  Give the point and
shoot to your significant other since it will also be fine for many
shots.

>Third, what are the photogenic spots in an around
>Orlando? Cypress gardens? (the cypress trees?)

Cypress Gardens is highly recommended and not too far away.  Features
there are a water ski show , many, many, many exotic flowers and plants
and many luscious, young lovelies dressed in anti-bellum gowns and
broad-brim bonnets, generally seated on park benches throughout the
gardens.  For the water ski show you will be probably 50-75 meters from
the action and a 70-150 or 80-200 might be appropriate.  For the flowers
you many want some sort of moderate close-up capability.  From my own
gear, I'd probably choose the Kiron 28-70 and Kiron 70-150 both of which
will do 1:4 close-up.

There are also other theme parks such as Universal Sudios and Seaworld.
For Seaworld I'd make sure I had something that went to 200mm. Of
course, what you do depends on how many small children you have in tow.
They're not likely to be as appreciative of Cypress Gardens as the
adults will be.

You may not have thought of it but Orlando is not far from the Kennedy
Space Center.  That should be a must see for kids and adults alike.
Well worth the trip.  Wide angle to short tele.

>Worthwhile making a trip to the everglades for a day
>at the cost of missing out a theme park?

If it was me, I'd spend the entire time in the 'glades as I used to do
with much of my weekend time when I lived in Forida.  However, I'm
afraid this question may mean you don't understand how far Orlando is
from the Everglades.  To what's left of the northern Everglades
(Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge - where I used to work as a
volunteer) is about a 3-1/2 hour drive down the east coast via the
Forida Turnpike or Interstate 95 (turnpike recommended despite tolls).
The advantage of going here is that it's at the scene of the infamous
presidential recount (Palm Beach County, FL) and perhaps you could help
them get it straight if they're not finished by then :)).

Everglades National Park (the southern Everglades) is about a 5 hour
drive from Orlando via turnpike or I-95.  A "complete" tour of the
glades is an all day affair (at least).  A "quick" tour could probably
be accomplished in 3-4 hours but remember that, while the daylight
period will be longer than Toronto, it will still be December in the
northern hemishpere and the days are growing shorter.

Small children will probably tolerate the short tour since they will get
to see some alligators but only the adults will appreciate the full
tour.  Speaking of alligators, unless you've never seen one and just
have to do it, you can avoid the alligator attractions around Orlando.

>Any photogenic beaches nearby? I have to have a tourist
>guide image of a Florida sunset with some silhouetted
>palm trees :-)

When you go to the Kennedy Space Center you are close to the east coast
beaches.  However, if you want a picture of a Florida sunset with palm
tree and ocean then you will have to go to the west coast.  If you have
plenty of time for a driving tour you could head west out of Orlando on
Interstate 4, detouring south a bit for a stopp in Cypress Gardens along
the way.  Then head to Tampa and pick up Interstate 75 to head south
down the west coast until I-75 heads east across the Everglades (called
"alligator alley" at this point).  Or better, in my opinion, go a bit
further south to Route 41 (the more scenic Tamiami Trail) and take that
east across the Everglades towards Miami  (Tamiami is not an indian
word, it means Tampa to Miami).

At the west end of Route 41 is Big Cypress National Preserve (sceninc
Cypress swamp).  Somewhere along this route is (if I recall correctly)
Cylde Bucher's studio.  Clyde specializes in b&w photographs of the
'glades taken with an 8x10 view camera.  About 2/3 of the way across to
Fort Lauderdale is the "Shark Valley" northern entrance to Everglades
National Park.  This only goes in about 7 miles but, if the kids just
want to see 'gators this is the place to go.  A bit further on is a
Mikosukee Indian village which is also an interesting stop.  You can
then take route 997 south to Florida City which is where the main
entrance is to Everglades National Park. Head back to Orlando on the
east coast via the turnpike.

There is very little in the way of food or drink in the park.  Eat ahead
of time in Florida City or nearby and take with you whatever else you
might need.

email me off-list if I can help with other questions.  Happy traveling.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts and formerly Boca Raton, Florida