Re: Hardware fetish (long), was Re: [OM] Jane Bown

Subject: Re: Hardware fetish (long), was Re: [OM] Jane Bown
From: "Franklin Berryman" <faberryman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 23:18:07 GMT
STEPPING UP TO THE SOAPBOX:

I have reconsidered my initial response to your post and think you are probably on the wrong list. We are all photographers here and have a deep and abiding interest in photography. What joins us as a group, however, is our admiration of Olympus equipment. It should come as no surprise, therefore, that the primary topic of conversation is the equipment. If the equipment is irrelevant to you or you're just not interested in talking about it, join and participate in a general photography list or a list that deals with the particular type or aspect of photography you're interested in. The fact that we talk about Olympus equipment does not mean that we just sit around "polishing our Zuikos." It means we are particpating in the Olympus list.

DANGER: GOING OFF-TOPIC

I also happen to have a deep and abiding interest in music. If I want to discuss baroque music, Beethoven or bel canto opera, I know where to go to do so. However, if I want to discuss my particular audio equipment, I know where to go to do that as well. There is very little dicussion of the equipment at the music sites and very little discussion of the music at the equipment sites. In my judgment, that is how it should be. Mix and match my friend.

RELAX: GOING BACK ON-TOPIC

The point is, there is a list for everyone. This just happens to be the Olympus equipment list. Use it for what it was designed for and seek out other lists to compliment it.

STEPPING OFF THE SOAP BOX