[OM] New feature for OM5/6/D

Subject: [OM] New feature for OM5/6/D
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:50:57 -0000
Here's a suggestion for the next generation of OM bodies, whether film
or digital. Perhaps Tom can check his OM6 to see if it's already
there!

Flash metering.

Various people have pointed out that the TTL flash metering doesn't
always work, specially for macro work as the subject is rather
abnormal. Doris says that there is no substitute for learning your
flash's characteristics and then doing the sums.

I'm just getting into macro and have been thinking about this.
Presumably with a current body you could use an ordinary flash meter
and take a reading from a grey card in the subject position. Then if
you are close enough for lens extension to affect exposure you still
have to do the sums to apply the correction factor.

We know that the electronics can remember exposures, this is how
multi-spot metering works for example. All we need is a button or mode
to fire the flash but not the shutter, remember the exposure time and
flash quench time, and then apply  them when you take the shot for
real. The exposure from the grey card would be "correct" for an
average subject, so you would be immune to things like huge contrast
between the near subject and dark background.

Just my 0.02 Euros' worth. We'll never see it but it might have been
nice.

John