[OM] UK Oly dealers

Subject: [OM] UK Oly dealers
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:26:59 -0000
Francois wrote

>I'm French, living in the UK

Hello Francois, welcome to the list.

Various people have answered your question about UK dealers who sell
Oly gear. One that I don't think anyone has mentioned is Ace Cameras
in Bath. They are a bit pricey but they do get some nice stuff. Their
website is www.acecameras.co.uk , the secondhand list seems to only be
updated about once a month.

You don't say where in the UK you are. If you can get to Bath, it is a
good place to visit. Ace's shop is in a backstreet very close to the
Royal Photographic Society, at least until the latter moves away  to
self-imposed rural exile :(((

London Camera Exchange are a chain of 20 or so branches. They used to
do a weekly email listing secondhand stock from several of their
branches, and one branch will happily send stuff to your local branch.
The email list now seems to be just for the Reading branch, though you
can ask for lists from some other individual branches. But it's a lot
less useful that way. I don't know if they have a website, try
something like www.lcegroup.com and see if anything turns up. They do
get Oly stuff - I wandered into the branch here last week for a look
and there was a 50/3.5 macro. It's not there any more, it's in my
camera bag!

Then there is Jessops, who seem to want to monopolise camera retail in
the UK. Their website www.jessops.com now has info on all their
secondhand stock, and again if you have a local branch they will send
it over. I haven't seen much exotic there, but interesting things do
turn up occasionally. I just missed out on a 35RD last week.

John