Re: [OM] Did Elian Gonzales cost Al Gore the election?

Subject: Re: [OM] Did Elian Gonzales cost Al Gore the election?
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 00:50:14 -0500
Sam wrote:
I am amazed by the fact that someone cannot make a post on a forum group
among friends. My post was not inserted as an attempt to irk or offend
anyone. I was naively curious to what some members may have thought about
the closest election I have ever witnessed in my life time. I thought it
would make a good conversation piece, unfortunately I was dead wrong, for
others disagree.

You are lucky you were among friends! I suggest you only announce that Zuikoholics that might be interested in discussing these flame-prone and bandwidth gobbling topics join you at egroups. Many would and it would spare those who don't.

Maybe what my mom told me when I was a child was correct, there are two
things you never talk about in pubic, 1) religion, 2) politics.

Most moms are pretty smart, but only when we get to be 40ish and they are much older. :-)

I apologize to those that were offended by my post. I always thought the
internet was a new forum to reasonably expand the freedom of speech. I guess
I was grossly wrong in using good judgement and it appears censorship is
alive and kicking irregardless of were it used.

I don't believe it was so much offensive as the fact that these topics tend to alienate a friendly group and even drive people away. I think that there are some in the US who care very little about the current election, and there are those outside the US who are deeply interested. It just doesn't seem to fit here very well. OM content: I have some b&w shots of Ralph Nadar that I took while in college with my first OM-1 (no MD). Must have been a soft lens as his face looks much smoother and his hair is black.

It's also true in the old cliche; " you can't please everyone"

True. You brought up an interesting idea (to some) but it doesn't fit here. We talk about cameras here because we aren't interested in a sewing list. (at least not that I'm aware of)

Back to the cameras I go... Hi Hoo, Hi Hummmm....

Sam....

Gregg