Re: [OM] bokeh...

Subject: Re: [OM] bokeh...
From: John Hudson <xyyc@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 21:17:50 -0800
Acer V wrote:

> so what if it's a nikon? a darned good camera in it's own right if you ask
> me, one i wouldn't hesitate to use (you do recall i've used Pentax,
> Minolta, Canon & Nikon SLRs before right?) granted, if i had a choice
> between, say, CP950 or C3030, you'd know my choice lies with Oly. But the
> bottom line is, it's nothing more than an instrument (one that performs
> well, mind you). I prefer Olys (and man/mech ones at that) for aesthetic
> reasons, same as why i tend to like OMegas (classics please, nothing
> gaudy) vs. rolex.
>
> oh @#$ 0 think i just started another holy war, rolex vs omega.....
>
> /Acer V

I had some interesting observations today. I turned out some 16"x20" b/w
prints from using my 50/1.2 Zuiko on my 4T and from using a Mamiya RB67
6x7 medium format camera. The shots were taken of the same scenery at
the same time. The film was TMax 400 in both cases. The degree of
degradation was more visible in the 35mm prints but not by much but this
is understandable considering the size of the RB67 negative in
comparison to that of a 35mm negative. I also had the opportunity to
observe other 16"x20" b/w prints made with Tamron 28/200mm lenses on
Nikon bodies along with their matching prints made with the RB67. Again
the film was TMax 400. The enlarging lenses [50mm/2.8 and 900mm/4.5] /
enlargers / photo paper were common in all cases.

The prints I made from my 50/1.2 lens were vastly superior to the ones
made from having used the Tamron 28/200. "Vastly superior" is somewhat
of an understatement! They were just fuzzy and muddy in comparison!  I
guess that the 50/1.2 is just a superior performer!!

jh