[OM] slide film tonal range

Subject: [OM] slide film tonal range
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 04:52:17 -0800
I am persona non grata to this group, and haven't posted for well over a year.
However, I could not let the following serious error go without comment.

"Slide film does not have as much latitude as print or B&W [sic] film. It
cannot reproduce in the same frame an exposure range from bright to dark that
is more than about 3 aperture stops or a magnitude of 8 from darkest to
lightest. OTOH, negative film will capture a range of about 7 aperture stops or
a magnitude of 128 times as much light in the brightest areas as are in the
darkest."

NOT SO. The writer is confusing exposure latitude with tonal range.

Think, people, THINK. If slide film had only a three-stop brightness range, it
would be impossible to record both highlights and grays that were only slightly
darker than a gray card! In fact, slide films can record a brightness range of
100:1 or even 200:1.

By the way, contrary to what the writer implies, there is such a thing as B&W
transparency film. I believe Kodak makes such a film, and for many decades
Panatomic was reversal-processed to produce slides.

I'm waiting to be told that I didn't understand the original posting. <sigh>