Re: [OM] OM-2000

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2000
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 22:35:20 -0600
----- Original Message -----
> I'm user olympus since 1979 when I bought my OM-1 ND.
> always with excellent results, the last year I bought
> thae OM-2000 because I Like de manual cameras because
> I can handle the light, my problem with this camera is
> the shot with automatic flash, whith the zoom 35-70
> mm.
> ¿what is the best aperture and focal distance with
> this lens for the pictures with automatic flash?
> Thank you for your answer
> Juan Robles
> jors1951@xxxxxxxxx

If I understand your question, there is no "best focal distance" with a
35-70 lens + flash.  Any flash will probably cover this range well enough.
As far as a best aperture is concerned, that will depend on the flash.  With
ASA100 film, the T20, for example, will offer two auto settings, one for f8
and another for f4.  In most cases, if you are close enough to the subject,
f8 will work, but if there is any doubt, try the f4 setting first.

I find it helpful to note the manual setting, even if I am choosing auto.
If the subject is outside the range of the flash in manual mode, that is
obviously bad, because a full quench of the flash won't fully illuminate
your subject.  I would recommend just shooting your flash in manual mode
until you get used to what it can do.  You may find it to be easy enough
that you won't need to use the auto settings.  When you do use them, you'll
probably use them more appropriately as a result.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA