Re: Ree: [OM] vivitar 19mm=ok?

Subject: Re: Ree: [OM] vivitar 19mm=ok?
From: Larry <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 17:19:30 -0500
Yes this zoom is distributed by Phoenix. It is basically 1/3 stop slower which
is a small difference
considering all the focal lengths included. It is marketed as an f/4-4.5 which
is only a 1/3 stop
difference. This is very important when using this lens with flash, or handheld
meter as 1/3 of a stop
is very minimal, and easily bracketable.

There is a Phoenix 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 which may seem faster,  but varies in
aperature 1 full stop!!
This screws up flash exposure settings royally, especially studio strobe and
handheld meters. It will
work ok with TTL OM ambient light metering, but I hate restrictions & settings
I'm never really sure
of.

This has kept me away from variable aperature zooms, but the 1/3 stop stated
variable in the 18-28mm
(if even that much) is definately within film latitude as I have found. And,
its sharpness is
beautiful.

Larry