[OM] Backpacking cameras--Future of APS format

Subject: [OM] Backpacking cameras--Future of APS format
From: Lyle Olsen <lo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 11:09:26 -0800
I followed the thread of backpacking cameras with interest, because even
tho' my oly bodies are so light, with all the lenses (which often are
NOT light, especially compared to the newer plastic ones like on my
Nikon SLR)  flash, bits and pieces, the bag is still pretty considerable
and what about the mini-dv video camera never mind the digital still
camera.  Am planning a couple three months travel to SE Asia and
Australia and weight matters, something has to give. Still cannot see
leaving my beloved Zuik's at home, but one does have to think this
through, travelling heavy tends to be less fun in general.  (so heck who
needs a shaving kit or a change of underwear anyway?  I do, I do)  Still
I followed the talk about Centurion (APS format) with interest, even
followed one on ebay for a while, came close to bidding.
Anyway, was having this conversation with my local photolab photostore
guy about compact cameras and he says funny you should ask about APS.
His Fuji rep just told him that Fuji is going to drop APS films
altogether.  Apparently APS never amounted to more than 70f 35mm sales
in US, it never really caught on as a bridge between the film and
digital world as they had thought.  Either that or the digital world
came on faster than anyone had predicted when APS was launched about 5
years ago.  Either that or folks took a look at APS results and said
huh, what's so great about this compared to 35mm.  Sure they brought out
new emulsions for APS but pretty soon those improved films were also
available in 35mm, so 35 still was one up because of larger film area.
Also, the camera manufacturers brought out some pretty tiny pocket style
cameras for 35mm at same time (he has a pentax p/s with a 28mm no zoom
lens that is tiiiiiny and takes outstanding shots at 11x14).  Whatever
the reason, if a big outfit like Fuji is dropping APS, it does not bode
well for the future of the format.  I don't know if this has been
press-released by Fuji yet????   What will Kodak do now, is the
question.  Can the big film companies keep it going if it isn't a money
maker, especially when their stock prices are so precariously
positioned. And especially because they are separate from the
manufactureres of the cameras for the most part--less moral obligation
maybe?. Someone will surely keep supplying and developing APS, but it is
likely to become more of a specialty thing?  Eg this photo guy is about
to upgrade/replace his dev/print lab machine, but prob won't be looking
at being able to handle APS films on it at all (more concerned about
ability to print from digital files). APS holding folks will have to
look farther afield perhaps?
Oh, by the way, he has lots of digital cameras available (esp from
Fuji!), but his film business and 35mm camera sales are still very
strong.  He uses top grade fuji paper and chemistry, charges a premium
price (3 to 4 times the discount guys) does a great job in a small
town,  and his business is booming.  Very smart businessman.  Either
that or he has pretty smart customers! ;)
Lyle
Lyle Olsen       lo@xxxxxxxx       http://www.lylo.com