Re: [OM] insects and lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] insects and lenses
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 23:33:53 -0600
I recall the first time I found a "dead engineer" inside a camera.  It
was an OM-1 I repaired in the late '70's.  I removed the top cover to
find a largely-developed moth about 3/8th inch long, trapped between the
top cover and the meter's circuit board.  Around it lay the debris of
it's cocoon.  Obviously it had never spread it's wings - literally or
figuratively!

We could never decide - had it been somehow been trapped there during
assembly (a joke maybe? naw-w-w-w!), or had it's mom deposited it
sometime after it had been sold to the owner?  Either way, it was
somewhat disquieting to think about - had it yearned to fly in space if
never found, to seek light it never saw?  Sad!

Since then, I've seen all sorts of "invaders" in cameras - the most
disgusting (so far) being ants.  They were everywhere!  Almost as bad as
sand!  Yech!  And I've seen dozens of lenses with cocoon debris inside -
people leave their equipment is the strangest places, it's no wonder
bugs get inside!