Re: [OM] Scanning - prints or negatives?

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning - prints or negatives?
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:20:23 -0600
Cc: <xbw58@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Tony,

I believe you'll be really surprised at the increase in quality of a good
film scanner.  To really take advantage of your 1270, there are really only
two choices, variations on the same machine, the Polaroid Sprintscan 4000
and the Microtek version of the same scanner (forget the model number).  I
know at least one other person on this list has a 4000 and, I believe, likes
it as much as I do.

A full frame negative scan is about 5500x3500 or about 18megapixels.  This
lets me print at over 200 dpi on 13x19 paper on the 1270 and the results are
simply stunning.

I haven't done any black and white, but I've heard positive comments of
scanning it on the Polaroid and, oddly, printing in color on the 1270.

There is an excellent filmscanners list you can subscribe to at
http://www.halftone.co.uk.  I know there are others here that also subscribe
there.

I'll make this offer here.  If anyone would like me to scan one of their
slides or negatives, email me offline at tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   I can scan
it and put the results on my FTP server for you to download and/or print you
the results on the 1270.  Keep in mind that the image will be about 50-60Mb,
so the download could take awhile.

Tom