[OM] Reports from camera shows

Subject: [OM] Reports from camera shows
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 07:55:14 -0800
Here are three interesting reports, off the Cnaon FD mailing list, from
buyers going to recent camera shows. Anyone have a report from the
Huntsville show?

*****

I went to the Boston Photographic Society (or something like that)
camera flea market today.  I'd have been better off spending my time and

money on eBay.  I'm not sure where these dealers come up with their
prices but they were very creative.  I was too stunned to remember any
details, but there was no price on anything that couldn't have been
beaten on eBay and the condition of most of the stuff was terrible.

The only equipment that looked good was the plethora of Leica stuff.  I
can't believe these guys make money!  I hardly saw anybody buying
anything!

*****

Your experience sounds like mine a few months ago. I went to a much
touted
camera show here in Orlando. It was in a hotel room and was nothing but
bunch of dealers with the overpriced or bad stuff!! I did end up buying
35-70 mm zoom which I probably overpaid for-I think it was one of those
special Canon plastic thingies they made to go with their cameras. At
least
it is light and takes decent pictures, but it wasn't a bargain. Anyway,
I'll
stick to ebay ---and yard sales---don't underestimate what you'll find
there.
Marie

*****

I went to a show here in Chicago earlier this summer, and bought an
AE1-P
that was cosmetically with a near-mint 50mm 1.4 for $200. I did
subsequently
get it CLA'd and re-foamed (another $65), but I then took some 300 shots
with
it on my vacation; worked flawlessly. The traffic at the show was lower
than
I'd seen in past shows, and I wondered if that was due to summer
vacations. I
have seen a number of good used camera places close here over the last
few
years, although Howard Dubin now has his own storefront
(http://www.photomall.com/hdubin.htm). The demographics and new digital
technology are certainly not supporting our old film-based amateur
photography passion.

*****

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV