Re: [OM] [OT] Current film color balance

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Current film color balance
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 10:55:22 +0000
At 14:48 10/28/00 , Lex Jenkins wrote:

>I had been using Kodachrome 64 for my petrified wood structure project, but
>was disappointed with the closeups.  It just didn't deliver minute,
>glittering details as I wanted.  Provia 100F solved that problem.  The
>details are brilliant.  Yet the film satisfies my desires for accuracy and
>vivid color.  I could just as easily have been satisfied with Astia, but I'm
>going to standardize on Provia.
>
>For my money nothing beats Kodachrome for portraits and flowers.  The colors
>are rich yet accurate.  And unlike even the best print films, there's no
>haggling with the lab over how the prints *should* look.  Just check the
>slides.
>-----------
>Lex Jenkins

Kodachrome 64 has always given me truer colors than Elitechrome 100.  I'm
running less saturated Ektachrome 100 EPN now to see if I like it better
than the Elitechrome 100.  If that doesn't suit me, then maybe the Provia F
or Astia will.  Kodachrome 64 on the OM bodies with the faster Zuiko's
isn't normally a problem.  On the other bodies with f/2.8 lenses it has
been and 2/3 stop faster at ISO 100 with an E-6 film often makes the
difference.

BTW, the Kodak pro/consumer transparency equivalents are:
E100S    = Elitechrome 100
E100VS   = Elitechrome 100 Extra Color
E200     = Elitechrome 200
EPL-400  = Elitechrome 400

I have yet to find an ISO 400 E-6 that isn't grainy; Kodachrome 200 falls
into the grainy category too.

-- John