[OM] Please don't fragment the list!!!! Was: "For Sale" mailing list

From: "Alan Barrow" <pinzgauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 22:59:59 -0400
Mike wrote:

> If the creation of this "For Sale" list is true..it bodes a sad reality
> for the OM "mother list" so I hope it is a joke getting perhaps out of
> hand.

This is indeed sad. As a long time administrator of mailing lists, any
fragmentation or split significantly reduces tha value of the group.

One example: How many for sale posts have triggered useful discussion
threads? Pretty much nearly every one! Shoot, I learn about as much from the
for sale threads as much of the other dialog.

Please do not split the list!!!! (yes, that is what you are doing if you
post FS's elsewhere)

It is not necessary! Just honor the FS tag in the subject, keep in mind the
non-verbal nature of email, and how your response to a FS add might be
(mis)interpreted.

About the only thing we could do worse at this point is to try to move to
some Web board only approach. Onelist/egroups style mail or web access works
great, as it lets users choose. But a web only format locks out many folks.

So, let's please keep the list like it was.... and get back to constructive
OM dialog!

Obligitory OM topic: Is anyone bidding on the 80-200 2.8 AT-X on ebay? Wish
I had the $320!

Thanks,

Alan Barrow