Re: [OM] First Impression

Subject: Re: [OM] First Impression
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 19:51:49 -0700 (PDT)
Alasdair Mackintosh wrote:

The subject of digital backs for an OM keeps popping up on the list. I
can't see it happening, myself, and in any case I'm not sure I'd want
one. Producing a digital version of a 35mm camera usually results in a
50 0ncrease in focal length, due to the fact that the CCD sensor is
smaller than a 35mm negative. . . (snip)  . . . What I'd like to see is
a digital version of the OM concept, that subscribes to the original
Maitani philosophy of a small, lightweight system that takes excellent
pictures without unnecessary complexity . . . (snip) . . . "make it big
and black and heavy with hundreds of buttons and lots of
incomprehensible modes" school of thought, or the "make it totally
automated so that anyone can get a recognisable picture but nobody can
get a good one" philosophy. . . (snip) . . .Something like the old
Pentax 110 SLR, but which takes better pictures than a 35mm camera. Now
that would be worth having...
How about reviving the Olympus PEN F, fitted with a digital back, if
you need a smaller format system camera? BTW, I love your description
of the two schools of thought! Seems to me that even 35mm film cameras
are going that way, too :-(

Regards,

=====
Ray