Re: [OM]

Subject: Re: [OM]
From: "Alan Barrow" <pinzgauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:49:43 -0400
Hello,

> | this format.  Found an IS-3 at a local pawn shop, but the price seems

John's right.... I bought a factory refurb for $270 or so.

They are great cameras. This IS-1 was very usable, and the IS--3 even
better. Lens quality is very good, exposure works great, spot mode right
under the thumb where it should be.

Flashmatic calculation often results in better exposures than TTL shots with
my OM. (It get's tricked less by ambient) In situations where you really
need the spot, flash shots are hard with the OM without going manual. The IS
seems to get it right! The fill mode is great for daylight outdooe people
shots, use it all the time.

Controls are intuitive, camera functions just like it should!

Carried both through Germany, Austria, and London for 3 weeks this summer.
IS shots were as good or better as my OM, and made me wonder why I still
bothered. (Of course, I had to talk myself out of that mindset!) I still
grab it with total confidence if I want to travel light.

Some nits..... there are times when I really wish it went down to 28mm. I
use wide far more than I use zoom.
Wish flash would retain fill setting after power off.
IS-1's were sometimes picky about focusing, but the 3 is much better, almost
flawless.

Other than that, I can't give enough praise. My IS-1 gave great service
until dropped. The focus is now slow except when zoomed, but still takes
great exposures! My wife really missed her camera, so I replaced it with the
IS-3, and have been extremely pleased. 25 rolls todate, and I probably get a
higher 0f correctly exposed shots than I do with my OM.

Well, I hate to gush, but this is a very under appreciated camera. Talk to
some owners!

Good luck,

Alan