Re: [OM] [OT] Handheld Meters (was: OM gear with longest life

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Handheld Meters (was: OM gear with longest life
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:55:52 -0500 (CDT)

> >While we're digressing: any opinions on the Minolta Auto IIIF as an ambient
> >light & flash meter?  And a fair price for a good working used model?  The
> >one advertised price I've seen recently for a used model was $165 - that
> >can't be right?!  I'd think $100 or thereabouts should be about right, yes?
> >-----------
> >Lex Jenkins
>
> After I picked up an Autometer IVF in a pawnbroker for approx US$50 (eeeek
> - I danced all week) I took some ineterst in the prices. $100 wouldn't buy
> me the spot metering attachment! IVF's go for $250-$300 here and IIIF's
> aren't too far behind. The price of anything digital......
> Andrew

B&H sells the IVf for $225USD. If used IIIfs are $165, I would pay the
extra $60 for:
1. New, w/warranty
2. AA battery, instead of PX28s at several dollars each. One less battery
type to carry spares for.
3. Extra shutter speeds in flash.
4. Lighting ratio measurement.

The one you really want, though, is the Flashmeter V. You get things
like:
1. Ability to flip between two ISOs.
2. Flash/ambient ratio for a flash measurement with the ratio being
shifted to account for changes in shutter speed. WOW!
$410

Paul